Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Selasa, 11 Juli 2006

Illness

10.52 - By Unknown 0

I have a neurological disease called spinocerebellar ataxia. My cerebellum (the bottom part of your brain that controls balance, eyesight, fine motor skills, muscle stability and speech) is closer to the size of a golf ball, when it should be the size of a tennis ball. The disease is degenerative, so it can only get worse, but the degeneration, according to several MRIs done over years, is progressing very slowly. The most obvious symptom is a tremor in my upper body. When my medicine is not working as it should, my head shakes and it can be difficult to walk. It is always difficult to handle small objects. My speech is somewhat slurred, but according to my friends, I do not sound drunk, like all the medical books say I should.
What I am learning is that God allows some things-even "bad" things-in our lives for our benefit. Because I cannot work nor have children, I am free to spend quality time with friends and family, I am able to do some nice things at home, I have plenty of time to read and pray, and I take nothing for granted; how many people really thank God when they're able to go to the grocery store, or make a smoothie, or carry a box for a friend? How many people are so happy for so long when a friend drops by?
My illness has caused me to find more joy in life, challenging myself by kayaking, rock climbing, hiking, working out, boogie boarding . . . things I might not have done otherwise.

Tags:
About the Author

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque volutpat volutpat nibh nec posuere. Follow me @Bloggertheme9
View all posts by admin →

Get Updates

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

Share This Post

0 komentar:

Recent news

Text Widget

Blogroll

Discussion

Powered by Blogger.
back to top